Accounting Manager - Revenue
We have an exciting opportunity for a project-oriented Accounting Manager in the Revenue group within the Finance/Accounting department of a $1B+ HQ in South Charlotte. This dynamic and progressively thinking position will assist the Revenue Director with a wide array of projects ranging from acquisition integration to complex contract reviews to an ERP system implementation. We are looking for a confident accounting professional with full-cycle accounting experience that gets excited about taking on new projects, streamlining and implementing process improvements and working collaboratively with others.
This is a great opportunity for someone that is looking to make an impact and be a key part of building the foundation for the Revenue team.
- The incumbent will manage the review of contracts under ASC 606 to determine the financial statement impact associated with implementing the new standard as well as the monthly revenue recognition process through the gathering and analysis of information about product and service deliveries provided by business unit managers and billing coordinators, specifically with respect to ASC 606.
- The incumbent will be directly involved in implementing new business processes that are required under ASC 606 as well as assist with month-end procedures including analytics and reconciliations and assist in forecasting revenue for future periods.
- The incumbent will research and provide guidance to corporate finance and business unit management and staff about appropriate accounting treatment for the recognition of revenue associated with the various business unit product offerings.
- The incumbent will be responsible for appropriately handling often complex revenue recognition as the company shifts towards more complicated contracts with its customers.
- This key role requires the development of timely and accurate routine and ad-hoc accounting and financial analysis to support different levels of management in sales operations, ITS, PPP and in FP&A during and after the implementation of ASC 606.
- This incumbent requires the ability to perform data analysis and raise appropriate questions as data conclusions begin to emerge.
- This incumbent requires strong business acumen and professionalism to interact with internal customers.
- This incumbent must exercise independence in managing ad hoc projects while exercising good judgment about elevating questions or key issues to management for guidance.
- The incumbent may also have other technical accounting responsibilities including assistance with the accounting and integration of new acquisitions.
- This role requires the preparation of year-end audit work papers, significant involvement with internal and external auditors, and attendance/active participation in regular and ad-hoc Corporate Finance group meetings, including software application upgrade and process improvement initiatives.
Major Accountabilities include:
- Manage work streams relating to the implementation of ASC 606 to include contract reviews, documentation of management judgments, contract costs, etc.
- Manage all aspects of revenue recognition including deferred revenue, unbilled accounts receivable, contract costs; manage revenue recognition associated with multiple element contracts, savings guarantee consulting arrangements, products with straight-line revenue recognition processes, or delayed revenue recognition due to implementation delays; perform monthly variance analyses and communicate results to management.
- Work with other Revenue Managers to understand differences between ASC 605 and ASC 606 with respect to the company's contracts. Work with senior revenue accountants to ensure that revenue is appropriately recorded in accordance with the new revenue standard.
- Perform monthly reasonableness analyses and research of revenue variances to forecast and prior year results by working with senior revenue accountants.
- Research and interpret applicable accounting guidance and document the company's revenue recognition position with respect to specific contracts
- Review monthly journal entries, analyses and reconciliations as needed.
- Review month-end account reconciliations associated with contract costs and other balance sheet accounts.
- Supervise senior revenue accountants.
- Create/maintain/update all Workday, Sarbanes-Oxley and other internal process documents associated with the revenue recognition process.
- Provide support, schedules and materials that may be required for the annual year-end audit and any internal audit projects related to revenue recognition and other accounting responsibilities.
- Participate in year-end audit assistance, process improvement initiatives, staff training assistance, department meetings and other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree (BA, BS) required in Accounting or related financial discipline
- Master’s degree in Accounting or MBA preferred, CPA required
- 5+ years’ experience required
- Progressive Accounting/Finance experience, including 3+ years’ experience with revenue recognition issues
- Familiarity with researching and reviewing accounting guidance.
- Experience with complex accounting transactions.
- 1+ years supervisory experience