THE SCOPE OF THE ROLE:
Provide support in the design and installation of refractory systems/components used in the development and implementation of new technology or improvements to existing technology.
· Take direction from management and refractory specialist.
· Perform designs and mechanical analyses through calculations basic on Sound Engineering with assistance from Sr. Mechanical Engineers, if necessary.
· Sketch conceptual design, transferring ideas to the designers for development of refractory drawings using Autodesk Inventor software.
· Design refractory linings for gas-based equipment, furnaces, ductwork, and heating exchange equipment including material selection, basic and detailed design, specifications and requisitions, and follow up with problems related to expediting and installation.
· Support purchasing technically with review of vendor submittals on on-site inspections refractory lines equipment.
· Supervise refractory repairs for plant shutdowns.
· Assist plants in technical and application refractory evaluations.
· Analyze refractories for current technology.
· Travel to job sites (30%) to analyze refractories, collect data and information, interact with plant personnel, and gain experience valuable to design considerations (i.e. opening conditions, temperature considerations, etc.).
· Travel on business trips (30%) and/or field assignments as required to carry out departmental tasks and functions.
· Write technical specifications for the refractories design, fabrications, procurement, etc.
· Work as a “team player” with all company departments and employees in all assignments. Work toward building consensus on all assignments by finding solutions which meet the best interests of all parties involved.
THE BACKGROUND PROFILE:
· Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering
· 5+ years of hands-on experience in a technical environment, preferably related to the steel industry
· Ability to travel internationally and domestically (up to 30%) occasionally for long periods of time (1-2 weeks)
· Proven experience utilizing AutoCAD for refractory systems design
· Ability to move around a project site, including climbing structures
· Strong communication skills – written and verbal
· Ability to meet schedule deadlines