Regional Margin & Pricing Manager
Revenue management is built around a singular idea: That a high-talent team with the right leaders and tools, focused on gross margin growth, can generate superior financial returns for the company through an industry-best pricing model, insight-driven analytical approach and coordinated, collaborative partnership with Sales, Category Management, Supply Chain and Finance. From this North Star, the company strategy, processes and structure follows.
Revenue Management is comprised of three tightly-integrated teams – Margin Strategy and Governance, Pricing Execution and Margin Analytics and Reporting. Collectively the teams are responsible for the company’s revenue and gross margin attainment goals.
The Regional Margin Manager position is part of the Pricing Execution team. You are responsible for the performance of your regions. Unit targets, revenue targets, margin targets. You are always an adviser. You are frequently a decision maker. You are identifying margin growth opportunities for your Field Sales partners. You are working with your margin analytics team to find customers or brands that are sub-optimally priced. You commission analytical projects to deep-dive to test hypotheses you have in your regions. You share your successful ideas with your colleagues and they share with you. You are working with the analytics team to evaluate margin opportunities and develop pricing tests that you put into market. You will interact with the Field sales organization daily and help them execute necessary pricing actions to maintain and grow the business. View the business as “your business” – your multi-hundred million dollar operation. Apply sound business judgement. Make informed decisions. Leverage your strategy and analytics partners.
Other responsibilities include:
- Managing the special buy process in your regions (overall this is owned and managed by margin strategy; but you own your piece of the go/no-go for your region, order volume, DC orders and pricing)
- Processing competitor pricing investigation requests (margin analytics team will help fulfill requests)
- Communicating regularly with your Field partners
- Ensuring alignment between corporate goals and Field/Revenue Management actions
- Conducting regular cadence of business reviews with Field partner
- Provide regional support as the single point of contact for pricing inquiries, requests, approvals and implementation support of special campaigns, overstocks and liquidations by developing strong relationships with the Regional President and the Director of Sales as well as the Field Support Center pricing team
- Develop a strong working knowledge of the markets covered; help your Field Sales partners find profitable opportunities to grow the business
- Rollout and execute competitive and promotional pricing initiatives within Region in order to maximize profit
- Coordinate analysis, approval and application of all field level item sell price changes for assigned regions.
- Implement all system updates including price changes, price corrections (credit/re-bill functions) and support of price variance holds queue.
- Reduce customer pricing confusion through effective communication with distribution center management and sales staff
- Track and maintain regional requests; share and present trends with Revenue Management and Field Sales team members
- Partner with Margin Analytics team to quickly process field requests, identify margin growth opportunities and put small tests into the market from which we all can learn and iterate upon
- Develop and coordinate monthly initiatives with distribution center management to improve profitability on low-margin products and customers and mitigate profit leakage.
- Coordinate product access requests and support other “key function” activities as needed.
- Quick processing of Field requests that are within the pre-established guardrails
- Complying with documented best practice processes – also helping to develop and revise such processes as needed
- Bachelor’s Degree from 4-year College or University; degree obtained in Finance/Accounting, Mathematics and/or Economics or a closely related discipline is preferred; advanced degrees viewed favorably
- 5 years of experience in a consulting, pricing, revenue management roles preferred; sales operations, business analytics or inventory management roles will be considered.
- Ability to build strong relationships across a variety of stakeholder groups – Field Support Center, field sales leadership, etc.
- Ability to manage the execution and tracking of field pricing implementation initiatives
- Very strong Excel skills
- Excellent face-to-face, telephone and written communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail, with an ability to multi-task, track progress and report to management
- Ability to review and analyze data to draw conclusions, recognize trends, troubleshoot problems, and avoid inaccuracies